Saturday, March 14, 2009

From Jacob to Jesus Part III

We used to be so strong together. Our weakest moment was when we threw Joseph in that pit, but we’ve made it this far. The eleven of us have had to ban together. We may as well. We all took something very precious from our family, and we may as well be together now if we are to be punished together. Whoever this man is has great power. Surely he knows this. What he doesn’t know is what we’ve done. None of us are good. Why would he show mercy on any of us?
Oh, if only we had thought twice about our mistakes. If only we had been truthful with Father. If only God would have allowed us to die that moment. The torture in my dreams, in my thoughts since that moment is worse than any death. The hurt I saw in my father’s eyes. The glow that’s left them. How could his own flesh and blood betray him like we did? How could I ever hear him say he loved me again? How could anyone forgive us?

“Then Joseph could not restrain himself before all those who stood by him, and he cried out, “Make everyone go out from me!” So no one stood with him while Joseph made himself known to his brothers. And he wept aloud, and the Egyptians and the house of Pharaoh heard it. Then Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph; does my father still live?” But his brothers could not answer him, for they were dismayed in his presence. And Joseph said to his brothers, “Please come near to me.” So they came near. Then he said: “I am Joseph your brother, whom you sold into Egypt. But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life…Then he fell on his brother Benjamin’s neck and wept, and Benjamin wept on his neck. Moreover he kissed all his brothers and wept over them, and after that his brothers talked with him.”
Genesis 45:1-5; 14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment